LinkedIn is full of organisations looking for sales people or sales managers right now so we thought it may be helpful to share five of our top tips when interviewing applicants for sales roles:
1. Look at the applicant’s resume carefully when deciding who to invite to interview – ‘buyer beware’ if their career history has several jobs of less than a year
2. Most sales people are good talkers and likeable – it helps in their job. You’re not employing someone for their personality though, so insist on concrete evidence of their performance in their last role.
3. Drill down on what processes the applicant follows in their sales cycle – the most effective sales people have a repertoire of procedures they use to ensure good pipeline management
4. Ask what the candidate will need to be successful in the role you are interviewing for and ensure there’s not a mismatch between what the sales person needs and what you can offer
5. Reference check, reference check and then reference check … and actively listen to what the referee is telling you!
If you want professional advice with your next senior sales vacancy contact @Samantha Smith at Parkhouse Bell who will be able to discuss your vacancy and determine whether we can help. Parkhouse Bell is an executive search and recruitment company specialising in the employment services, vocational education, community and disability services sectors.